In the iGaming sphere of 2024, the Anjouan license has emerged as a prominent and widely discussed topic. The disruptions caused by the recent reforms in the Curaçao gambling licensing system have made Anjouan an especially timely and attractive option for prospective licensees.
Anjouan’s prominence is on the rise, fueled by the uncertainties prevailing in Curaçao. In this article, we will provide you with a comprehensive overview of the current landscape of iGaming licensing in Anjouan.
The Evolution of the Curaçao License
Curaçao, as a constituent country within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, had long been renowned for the relative ease of its iGaming license application process. Despite its legislative and governmental autonomy, Curaçao found itself in a position of financial need, necessitating assistance from the Netherlands during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a condition for receiving this financial aid, Curaçao committed to reforming its gambling sector.
Consequently, in 2023, Curaçao introduced significant changes to its licensing system. These changes included the establishment of the Curaçao Gaming Authority as a new regulatory body, along with a comprehensive overhaul of the licensing process. Instead of permitting master licensees to independently grant sub-licenses and set licensing terms and conditions, the government has taken complete control over the entire process. This transition is aimed at ensuring compliance with industry standards in the iGaming sector while upholding Curaçao’s reputation as a transparent, compliant, and secure gaming environment.
Despite repeated delays in the transition timeline, which allowed licensed operators to continue operating under the previous conditions while preparing for the impending changes, there is a growing sense of concern within the global gambling community.
The Curaçao license, once known for its accessibility, is now expected to become a more complex and challenging process for prospective applicants, even though the changes are intended to enhance the regulator’s reputation.
This shake-up has prompted operators to conduct comprehensive research, ultimately turning their attention to Anjouan—the focal point of today’s discussion.
Anjouan (also known as Ndzuwani) is a captivating island nestled within the Comoros archipelago, situated in the vast expanse of the Indian Ocean. This island is not only a geographical wonder but also a cultural melting pot, with a diverse population that predominantly practices Islam, the official religion of the region. Anjouan boasts a rich linguistic tapestry, with three official languages: Comorian, Arabic, and French, reflecting its history as it gained independence from France in 1975. The island’s vibrant heartbeat centers around its capital, Mutsamudu.
In contrast to its natural beauty and cultural diversity, Anjouan’s economic landscape presents unique challenges. It relies heavily on agriculture, making it home to one of the world’s smallest economies. This, coupled with limited export opportunities, low levels of education, and a rapidly growing population, has driven the nation to depend significantly on foreign contributions. This context has also positioned Anjouan as an attractive destination for iGaming businesses, seeking to capitalize on its strategic advantages and contribute to the island’s economic development.
The Anjouan Gambling License: A Hidden Gem Unveiled
Anjouan has emerged as a sought-after destination for operators worldwide, offering a diverse range of gambling licenses. What was once an underrated jurisdiction is now gaining increasing attention, thanks to recent developments.
In 2005, the enactment of the Computer Gaming Licensing Act 007 of 2005 gave birth to the Anjouan Betting and Gaming Board (ABGB), entrusted with the authority to grant gambling licenses. Flying under the radar until recently, the Anjouan license has garnered recognition for its attractive features, including minimal licensing fees and a streamlined application process.
One of its standout features is its comprehensive coverage, encompassing all forms of gambling. This means that operators can obtain a single license and offer a wide array of gambling products, spanning online casino games, sports betting, poker, and B2B services.
The Anjouan license extends its reach across the globe, making it a universal choice for operators. However, certain exceptions exist, with prohibitions in place for the USA, Australia, Austria, the Comoros, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, and the UK.
A significant advantage that sets Anjouan apart is the absence of a Gross Gaming Revenue (GGR) tax requirement. This alleviates a substantial financial burden for operators.
The Anjouan gambling license comes with an initial one-year validity, necessitating annual renewal. Impressively, the process of acquiring this license can be expedited, with issuance possible in as little as three weeks.
When assessing the array of advantages offered by the Anjouan license, it becomes evident why it has captured the attention of the iGaming world.
Anjouan license vs. Curaçao license
To give you an idea about what to expect from Anjouan, we’re providing a comparison with the Curaçao license. As you can see, the Anjouan license is a great — perhaps even preferable — alternative.
|Medium licensing fees
|Low licensing fees
|One license for all types of gambling
|One license for all types of gambling
|The license can be granted within 3 months
|The license can be granted within two weeks
|0% corporate income tax, 2% tax on net gains
|0% GGR tax
|Complex application process
|Simple application process
The Anjouan license is a great opportunity for beginning operators who don’t want to risk big sums of money but would like to start and run their business legally.
Obtaining an Anjouan Gambling License: A Comprehensive Guide
Securing a gambling license in Anjouan may seem straightforward, but it demands meticulous attention to detail. Below is a list of prerequisites and steps required to obtain a gambling license in Anjouan:
- Detailed Business Plan: Craft a comprehensive business plan that outlines your gambling operation, its objectives, and strategies for responsible and sustainable growth.
- Clean Criminal Records: Ensure that key personnel or the designated compliance officer have no criminal records. This is crucial for maintaining the integrity of your gambling venture.
- Proof of Domain Ownership and Website Compliance: Provide evidence of domain ownership and demonstrate that your website complies with Anjouan’s regulations and standards.
- Compliance with Regulations: Demonstrate adherence to Anti-Money Laundering (AML) regulations, responsible gaming practices, and policies to prevent underage gambling.
- Testing and Certification: If you offer in-house developed games, you must obtain testing and certification for the Random Number Generator (RNG) used in these games.
- Server Location: Ensure that your servers are physically located within Anjouan to meet the jurisdiction’s requirements.
For a seamless application process and expert guidance, consider enlisting the services of iGaming Express. With over a decade of experience in the industry, we stay current with the latest developments. Our dedicated legal department conducts thorough research and adeptly manages even the most intricate cases. Contact us to determine the most suitable license for your brand and to avoid potential pitfalls during the application process.
Like other jurisdictions, Anjouan conducts background checks and due diligence on applicants. In addition to complying with player protection and transparency policies, key individuals must provide the following documentation:
- A copy of their passport.
- A recent utility bill as proof of address.
- A certificate confirming a lack of criminal records.
- A comprehensive resume detailing their qualifications and experience.
- A reference letter from a reputable bank.
- An original professional reference letter from an accountant or lawyer, with a professional relationship spanning more than two years.
- Copies of agreements with providers and third-party RNG testing certificates.
- Proof of domain ownership.
- Copies of the Terms & Conditions, including descriptions of responsible gaming policies, underage gaming policies, and a Know Your Customer (KYC) policy.
By following these steps and providing the necessary documentation, you can navigate the Anjouan gambling license application process with confidence and compliance.
How iGaming Express, Your Seasoned iGaming Consultant with 20 Years of Expertise, Can Transform Your Operations
At iGaming Express, we bring an impressive two decades of experience as iGaming consultants to the table. With an extensive network of partners providing software, banking solutions, payment options, and various gaming services, we are your comprehensive solution provider for online casino and sportsbook ventures.
Here’s how we can guide and assist you:
- Industry Authority: Our deep-rooted industry knowledge, accumulated over 20 years, empowers us to offer unparalleled insights and strategies, ensuring the seamless operation of your iGaming business.
- Licensing Expertise: We understand that adhering to legal regulations is paramount in minimizing risks. We guide you through the process of obtaining the right licenses, safeguarding your venture from the repercussions of unlicensed operations.
- Competitive Edge: In the fiercely competitive realm of online gambling, staying ahead is imperative. We can assist you with a fully equipped platform that offers a diverse range of content, including new releases, updates, and enticing bonuses.
- Efficiency and Management: Managing the multifaceted aspects of online gambling requires an efficient platform. The platforms are designed to optimize operations and streamline processes.
With iGaming Express as your trusted partner, you can elevate your online gambling venture, ensuring both compliance and a competitive edge in this dynamic industry. Contact us today to explore how our unparalleled experience and network of partners can propel your iGaming business to new heights.